Cardiff City 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday: Bluebirds rescue three points with injury-time penalty

With Sheffield Wednesday still yet to record their first point of the season, the Owls travelled to the Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday. There, they’d face another side that has failed to set the world alight thus far – with the Bluebirds boasting just one point from their draw against Leeds United on the opening day.

CAR: Alnwick; Collins, Goutas, McGuinness, Ng; Ralls, Siopis; O’Dowda, Ramsey, Ugbo; Méïté

SHW: Vásquez; Delgado, Bernard, Diaby, Palmer, Paterson; Gregory, Bannan, Byers, Windass; Smith

A cagey opening half-hour at the Cardiff City Stadium lacked action, but for a fine chance for Siopis from the edge of the penalty area. The midfielder was denied, and another change would go begging for the Bluebirds soon after as Ng’s cross was sent flying past the post by Méïté.

While the first half in the Welsh capital may have been rather uninspiring, the Bluebirds soared into the lead just moments after the restart. Once again, Ng’s cross from the right flank was delivered towards the back post before being lashed back across the face of goal by O’Dowda. Ugbo was the eventual recipient, controlling the ball with his chest before slamming a close-range strike past Vásquez.

With fifteen minutes remaining though, Bannan arrived on scene with his typical curling strike from the edge of the area – and Alnwick was left with no chance of making the save as the visitors drew level in South Wales.

But the Bluebirds were afforded a late opportunity to steal the points with a penalty seven minutes into stoppage time. With the weight of the world on his shoulders, Wintle’s composed low effort was to be the last moment of note before the final whistle.

Both sides will be competing in the Carabao Cup in midweek, with Cardiff City travelling to Birmingham City while Sheffield Wednesday host Mansfield Town. Both matches are scheduled for 19:45 on Tuesday.

Embed from Getty Images Embed from Getty Images