Nottingham Forest 1-1 Burnley: Hudson-Odoi’s debut stunner rescues Reds a point

The City Ground was the home of the first post-international break Monday night kickoff, which saw Nottingham Forest take on last season’s EFL Championship winners, Burnley. Steve Cooper’s side were looking for a second win in a row following victory at Chelsea last time out, while Vincent Kompany’s new boys arrived still awaiting their first points back in the Premier League.

NFO: Turner; Aina, Worrall, McKenna; Montiel, Mangala, Sangare, Elanga; Hudson-Odoi, Gibbs-White; Awoniyi

BUR: Trafford; Roberts, Al Dakhil, Taylor, Beyer; Gudmundsson, Cullen, Brownhill, Koleosho; Amdouni, Foster

A breezy night at the City Ground began with the away side on the front foot, with Lyle Foster’s early effort being collected comfortably by Matt Turner in the Forest goal. Luca Koleosho also looked to play the ball in towards Zeki Amdouni, but the original through ball from Foster was heavy and went out for a goal kick.

Despite those early chances for the Clarets, it was a quiet first fifteen minutes at the City Ground – until Taiwo Awoniyi’s well-timed pass found Callum Hudson-Odoi, whose first-time effort stung the palms of James Trafford; the England U21 international able to keep the scores level. Hudson-Odoi then found Awoniyi again 25 minutes in, but Jordan Beyer did well to block the Nigerian’s flick towards goal.

Zeki Amdouni then found himself free just outside the Forest box and drove a low shot towards the bottom corner, only for Matt Turner to get down well and pull off a brilliant save! 

Morgan Gibbs-White’s corner just under ten minutes from time almost found Ibrahim Sangare at the far post, only for the Ivorian to miss the header – but not by a lot!

The deadlock was finally broken in the 41st minute, and it was a wonderfully crafted goal from the visitors. Luca Koleosho’s burst of pace down the left hand side beat Gonzalo Montiel, and the young Italian cut the ball back towards Foster, who couldn’t reach it. However, the ball did fall to the feet of Zeki Amdouni, who took a touch and bent it beautifully into the far corner to send the Clarets into the half-time break with the lead.

Embed from Getty Images

The second half began with Vincent Kompany’s men almost doubling their lead, as a wonderful ball forward from Charlie Taylor found the impressive Koleosho down the left hand side. The Italian then found Amdouni on the edge of the Forest box, but the Swiss international’s first time effort deflected wide. Charlie Taylor’s volley from the resulting corner then travelled past the bottom corner, albeit narrowly. 

The away fans would’ve been very pleased with their team’s start to this second half, but even they would have been blown away by what was an absolute peach of an equalising goal in the 62nd minute. Taiwo Awoniyi took the ball down brilliantly inside the box and then laid it off to Callum Hudson-Odoi. The summer signing from Chelsea then cut inside and bent the ball wonderfully into the far corner via the post, marking his debut for his new club in style. 

Embed from Getty Images

The visitors may have been deflated by that equalising goal, and they thought they’d got back in front with just under 15 minutes to go as substitute Sander Berge took the ball down in the Forest box and squared it across to Lyle Foster to tap home. However, the Norwegian controlled the ball with his arm in the build-up, and the goal was subsequently ruled out by VAR and referee Rob Jones. 

The final major incident of the game saw the visitors reduced to ten men, as Lyle Foster was sent off by Rob Jones for violent conduct after an elbow on Forest substitute Ryan Yates was spotted by VAR.

Both Forest and Burnley are next in action this Saturday, with Steve Cooper’s men travelling to champions Manchester City, while Vincent Kompany’s side take on Manchester United at Turf Moor in the late kick-off.