Wolves 2-1 Manchester City: Blues defeated despite Álvarez second-half strike

Keen to return to winning ways following a midweek defeat to Newcastle United in the Carabao Cup, Manchester City travelled to Molineux on Saturday. They’d be without Pep Guardiola in the dugouts though, with the Spaniard forced to watch from the stands as a result of his one-match touchline ban.

WOL: Sá; Toti, Dawson, Kilman; Aït-Nouri, Lemina, João Gomes, Semedo; Hwang, Cunha, Neto

MCI: Ederson; Aké, Dias, Akanji, Walker; Kovačić, Nunes; Doku, Álvarez, Foden; Haaland

A bright start for Manchester City was promptly brought to an abrupt end with just thirteen minutes played at Molineux, as an early own goal from Rúben Dias but the ball firmly in Wolves’ court. With Pedro Neto doing well to dash past Nathan Aké, the Portuguese centre-back sought to clear the resulting cross – but ended up inadvertently smashing home past his own ‘keeper.

Embed from Getty Images

But there would be momentary relief for City in the second half, when a sensational Julian Álvarez free-kick restored parity and seemingly put the visitors on course for a routine victory. Lining up his strike from the edge of the penalty arc, the Argentine was able to curl past José Sá and into the top corner.

The game was level for just eight minutes though, and while it looked as if City would take the lead when Manuel Akanji attempted to slam home a header from close range, Craig Dawson’s clearance was vital – sparking a rapid counterattack for the home side.

Nelson Semedo’s cross from the right flank was dealt with poorly by Aké, who could only find Hwang Hee-chan – and while the South Korean’s strike was blocked well by the City defence, Matheus Cunha teed him up once more, with his effort nestling into the back of an empty net at the second time of asking.

Embed from Getty Images

There’s plenty of work to do for Manchester City ahead of Wednesday’s trip to RB Leipzig in the UEFA Champions League – but Wolves will carry this positive momentum from a colossal win into next Sunday’s clash against Aston Villa.