Tottenham 1-1 Liverpool: Haug equaliser rescues point for Reds against Spurs in tight encounter

The Barclays Women’s Super League lunchtime clash saw Spurs and Liverpool meet at Brisbane Road. Robert Vilahamn’s side came into this on the back of a draw with Everton last time out, while Matt Beard’s team edged past Leicester City at Prenton Park.

TOT: Spencer; James, Buhler, Bartrip, Neville; Ahtinen, Graham, Summanen; Bizet, Clinton, Thomas

LIV: Laws; Fisk, Bonner, Clark; Holland, Nagano, Hobinger, Hinds; Haug, Lawley, Enderby

With this clash falling on Remembrance Sunday, both teams paused before kick-off to remember those who gave their lives in past and present conflicts. 

When the game got underway, both sides started out trying to find their feet. The first attack of the game went Liverpool’s way, as Grace Fisk made a good run down the right hand side. The defender then looked for Sophie Roman Haug in the box – but the ball was headed away by Spurs captain Molly Bartrip.

It was then Spurs’ turn to threaten the opener as a classy interchange between Ashleigh Neville and Olga Ahtinen saw the former swing the ball in well. With no player reaching in the box, the ball fell to Angharad James, whose fierce shot was tipped over by Rachael Laws. Martha Thomas then saw a shot from close-range a few minutes later blocked by Gemma Bonner. 

Liverpool should have been 1-0 up in the 22nd minute, but from Grace Fisk’s low ball in, Sophie Roman Haug drilled the ball over the bar from a few yards out, and thus missed the best chance of the game so far. 

In what was turning into an end-to-end affair, the deadlock being broken was a certainty, and that’s exactly what Spurs did as they took the lead through a brilliant solo goal, as Celin Bizet picked up the ball in the centre circle and drove forward. The Norwegian brilliantly got past the Liverpool defenders, before cutting inside and firing the ball into the far corner past Rachael Laws.

Embed from Getty Images

It could have been two shortly after, as Ashleigh Neville did wonderfully to keep the ball just outside the box, before firing the ball in towards Martha Thomas, whose audacious flick-on narrowly missed the far post. 

Sophie Roman Haug had been in the thick of the action for Liverpool this afternoon, but her latest headed effort was the closest chance yet for the Norwegian, as it travelled just over the bar.

Celin Bizet could have had a second to her name two minutes from the first half’s end, but a big deflection off Reds defender Jenna Clark saw the Norwegian’s shot crash back off the underside of the bar. 

The second half started out with Spurs dominating the opening minutes, with Martha Thomas missing two glorious chances to add to the home side’s lead – albeit her second chance being halted by the offside flag.

Just under halfway into the second half, Liverpool found the equaliser that had eluded them. Yana Daniels, who had come on for Melissa Lawley, picked up the ball down the right hand side and got forward. The Belgian then found some space to cross the ball in, and Sophie Roman Haug headed Daniels’ cross home into the far corner past Rebecca Spencer.

Embed from Getty Images

With that goal, the game began to look like it was for the taking for either side, and Liverpool could have taken the lead with the best chance of the second half so far. A free kick was swung in from the left hand side by Yani Daniels towards Gemma Bonner, whose volley from close-range somehow evaded the back of the net and instead zipped well over the bar. It proved the final clear-cut chance of the game as the two teams shared the points.

Next time out for both sides, Matt Beard’s Liverpool take another trip to London on Saturday to take on champions Chelsea at 1:30pm, while Robert Vilahamn’s Spurs travel to the King Power Stadium to face Leicester City the following day at 3pm.