Wolves 1-0 Burnley: Hwang on target again as Wolves edge out resilient Clarets

Molineux played host to a big Premier League clash on Tuesday evening. Vincent Kompany’s Burnley finally got off the mark at Turf Moor with a 5-0 hammering of Sheffield United; ultimately ending Paul Heckingbottom’s tenure at Bramall Lane.

The Clarets weren’t done, however, as they arrived in Wolverhampton looking for a second win in a row. Gary O’Neil’s side came into this having lost their last two – albeit narrowly – and looked for a big victory here.

WOL: Bentley; Toti, Dawson, Kilman; Bueno, Gomes, Lemina, Sarabia, Semedo; Cunha, Hwang

BUR: Trafford; Vitinho, O’Shea, Ekdal, Taylor; Larsen, Berge, Brownhill, Koleosho; Amdouni, Rodriguez

A wet evening at Molineux opened with a great opportunity for Burnley to take an early lead from a free kick, but a tame delivery in was headed away by Max Kilman. 

Wolves eventually began to grow into the game after a slow start, with Kilman’s excellent diagonal ball forward almost finding Mario Lemina, but James Trafford was alert and collected the ball comfortably.

Gary O’Neil’s side almost took the lead against the run of play with just over 25 minutes gone, but Pablo Sarabia’s deflected effort saw James Trafford tip the ball over the bar. The Spaniard then saw a first-time effort float just over the frame of the goal moments later.

Zeki Amdouni then had Burnley’s first shot on target all game so far, but the effort from long-range was tame and Dan Bentley was able to make a comfortable save. Jacob Bruun Larsen then saw his strike from long-range fly well over the bar.

A horrendous mistake from Wolves midfielder Joao Gomes saw the ball be played into Burnley’s Jay Rodriguez, whose strike was parried away by Dan Bentley, before Josh Brownhill’s volley from the edge of the box was diverted wide brilliantly by the English goalkeeper.

Three minutes before the first 45 came to a close, the game finally saw its opening goal, and it came from Burnley being architects of their own downfall. Sander Berge lost possession just outside his own box after a heavy touch, which led to Pablo Sarabia picking up the ball and cutting it back towards Matheus Cunha, who left it for Hwang Hee-Chan to slam the ball home past James Trafford. 

Embed from Getty Images

Wolves had an excellent chance to double their advantage just nine minutes into the second half, but Pablo Sarabia’s free kick in from the left just about evaded Mario Lemina at the far post, leaving James Trafford in the Burnley goal relieved nothing came to fruition from it. Craig Dawson’s ball across the face of goal from a corner moments later was unlucky not to reach the feet of Matheus Cunha for a tap-in.

Pablo Sarabia’s free kick 20 minutes from time also saw James Trafford make an excellent save to keep the Spaniard’s strike from doubling Wolves’ advantage. 

However, Wolves’ failure to kill the game off saw Vincent Kompany’s side grow back into the game, with Vitinho’s long-range strike unlucky to not find the top corner with 10 minutes to go.

But for Gary O’Neil and Wolves, it was a first win in three games, as they edged out a very stubborn Burnley side.

Both sides return to Premier League action this Saturday, when Wolves host Nottingham Forest at Molineux and Burnley travel down south to Brighton; both games kick off at 3pm.