Everton 3-0 Newcastle United: Toffees seal deserved victory over lacklustre Magpies

Premier League action returned to Goodison Park for the first time since November 26th as Everton took on Newcastle United on Thursday. Sean Dyche’s side were looking for a third win in five games, having narrowly beaten Nottingham Forest last time out. As for Eddie Howe’s Magpies, they dominated Erik ten Hag’s Manchester United and thoroughly deserved their 1-0 win on Saturday; they arrived at Goodison Park looking for a third league win in a row.

EVE: Pickford; Coleman, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Mykolenko; Young, Gueye, McNeil, Harrison; Doucoure; Calvert-Lewin

NEW: Dubravka; Trippier, Lascelles, Schar, Livramento; Guimaraes, Miley, Joelinton; Almiron, Gordon, Isak

A chilly winter’s night on Merseyside saw Newcastle dominate the ball early on, but it was Everton who forced the first half-chance of the game inside three minutes, as Idrissa Gana Gueye’s effort from just inside the box was blocked by Fabian Schar before rebounding to Ashley Young, whose shot was also blocked. The former England international then slashed a shot out for a corner, thanks to a deflection off Tino Livramento. 

If Everton’s bright start wasn’t evident before, it certainly was when Jarrad Branthwaite’s header from the resulting corner almost nestled in the back of the net, but found the other side of the far post instead. 

Up to this point in the game, Sean Dyche’s men had attempted six shots in the game thus far. However, Newcastle’s first attempt on goal almost came to fruition, but Kieran Trippier’s free kick was tame and his England colleague Jordan Pickford collected the ball easily. Miguel Almiron’s close-range effort was also claimed by the Everton goalkeeper moments after.

Back up the other end, Dominic Calvert-Lewin had a hat-trick of great opportunities to put Everton in front; firstly with a header that floated just over the bar, and two further headed efforts which were claimed coolly by Martin Dubravka.

Embed from Getty Images

As the game reached the half-hour mark, Dwight McNeil had a great chance to break the deadlock, but the former Burnley winger dragged his shot just wide of the far corner.

Alexander Isak had scored in Newcastle’s last three away games in all competitions, and the Swede almost made it four as Kieran Trippier’s cross was headed just wide by the Magpies striker.

The best chance of the game so far came in the form of an Everton free-kick, as Jordan Pickford’s ball forward saw Dwight McNeil head back across goal for Dominic Calvert-Lewin, who took a touch from a few yards out and somehow blazed his effort over the bar.

Everton continued to create chances in the second half, with Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s header parried away by Martin Dubravka following a corner. 

At the other end, Anthony Gordon had the chance to haunt his former employers, but his curling shot went well wide of the far post. Lewis Miley also saw his long-range effort fly just over the bar moments after.

James Tarkowski could count himself very lucky to not gift the Magpies the opener as he got dispossessed by Anthony Gordon in the Everton box, but his shot was tame and Jordan Pickford collected the ball comfortably.

With just under 15 minutes to go, the deadlock was finally broken, and through a mistake Kieran Trippier will not want to watch back. The England international’s pass forward to Lewis Miley was intercepted by Dwight McNeil, and the winger’s burst of pace saw him look up and fire the ball home past Dubravka into the far corner. In terms of who had created the better chances, this was no more than Sean Dyche’s men had deserved. 

Embed from Getty Images

It got even better for the Toffees with five minutes to go. Kieran Trippier was forced into another mistake by Dwight McNeil and the Everton winger got forward. McNeil’s shot from just inside the box was deflected into the path of Abdoulaye Doucoure, who smashed the ball home past Dubravka to seal the three points for Everton; taking them out of the bottom three in the process.

Halfway through stoppage time, Everton grabbed a third through substitute Beto. A long ball forward by fellow substitute Nathan Patterson found the Portuguese striker down the right hand side, and he made no mistake as he slotted home his first Premier League goal to cap off an amazing night for the Everton faithful.

Both sides are next in action this Sunday, where Everton welcome Chelsea to Goodison Park at 2pm, and Newcastle travel down south to take on Tottenham Hotspur at 4:30pm.