Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool: Salah nets 200th goal for the Reds as Klopp’s side move top

With the opportunity to rise to the summit of the Premier League standings ahead of Arsenal’s match on Saturday evening, Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool travelled to Selhurst Park for a lunchtime kickoff.

CRY: Johnstone; Clyne, Guéhi, Andersen, Ward; Lerma, Richards, Hughes; Schlupp, Édouard, Ayew

LIV: Alisson; Tsimikas, van Dijk, Quansah, Alexander-Arnold; Gravenberch, Endo, Szoboszlai; Diaz, Nüñez, Salah

Crystal Palace felt aggrieved when Andy Madley took three minutes to review their penalty appeal in the first half, with the referee ultimately deciding not to award a spot-kick despite Virgil van Dijk’s foul on Odsonne Édouard inside the box – citing an earlier foul from Will Hughes in the buildup.

But the hosts would be awarded a chance from the spot just before the hour mark, with Andy Madley judging that Jarell Quansah had caught Jean Mateta while trying to clear a cross. Play had continued – but VAR opted to call the play back and send the referee to the pitchside monitor, with Mateta then duly dispatching past Alisson from 12 yards out.

Mo Salah did well to level the match with less than fifteen minutes of regulation time left to play, just seconds after Jordan Ayew had seen red for a second bookable offence. Netting his 200th goal for the Reds, the Egyptian becomes just the fifth player to reach that landmark figure – alongside Ian Rush, Roger Hunt, Gordon Hodgson and Billy Liddell.

Embed from Getty Images

Harvey Elliott was the player to salvage a much-needed three points for Liverpool in the context of the title race though, striking from the edge of the box at the start of a lengthy period of stoppage time to put Jürgen Klopp’s side ahead for the first time.

Alisson was forced to deny a thunderous headed effort from Joachim Andersen in the 100th minute, as Liverpool walk away from Saturday’s lunchtime kickoff with a win that puts them ahead of Arsenal – at least until the Gunners trip to Aston Villa.