Crystal Palace 0-0 Everton: Defences on top as Eagles and Toffees left to settle for replay

The 2023/24 FA Cup recommenced at Selhurst Park on Thursday evening. Crystal Palace came into this on the back of a big win against a struggling Brentford side, while Everton were seen off in convincing style by Gary O’Neil’s Wolves at Molineux. A place in the Fourth Round was at stake in this all-Premier League tie.

CRY: Henderson; Clyne, Andersen, Guehi, Mitchell; Lerma, Richards, Eze; Franca, Schlupp, Mateta

EVE: Virginia; Coleman, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Mykolenko; Onana, Garner; Harrison, McNeil, Danjuma; Calvert-Lewin

A quiet start at Selhurst Park eventually came to life when Palace forced the first chance of the game, as Jean-Philippe Mateta laid the ball off to Jeffrey Schlupp who mishit his volley straight into the arms of Joao Virginia early on. 

Everton’s first chance of the game fell the way of Arnaut Danjuma after a precise through ball from Jack Harrison found the Dutchman, who raced towards goal and saw his close-range shot force a great save out of Palace stopper Dean Henderson. The England international was then called into action to prevent James Garner’s corner from going all the way in ten minutes later.

Embed from Getty Images

Up the other end, a wonderful team move from Roy Hodgson’s hosts ended with Jefferson Lerma firing a fantastic effort just wide of the top corner; albeit leaving Joao Virginia in the Everton goal unfazed. 

The first chance of the second half came Everton’s way, with James Garner lining his shot up from the edge of the box, but sent his curling shot well wide of the far post. 

Down the other end, Eberechi Eze took the ball down wonderfully just inside the box and rocketed a shot towards the top corner, but Joao Virginia was equal to it as he saved well to prevent the deadlock being broken.

Amadou Onana had looked impressive in this game for Everton, but he could count himself unlucky not to end up on the scoresheet as his header travelled over the bar from a corner. Jack Harrison also dragged a shot well wide moments later, before a tame effort from Arnaut Danjuma saw Dean Henderson collect the ball comfortably.

The 78th minute of the game brought what was the biggest talking point to emerge from the game, as VAR intervened after Dominic Calvert-Lewin was adjudged to have left a rash challenge on Nathaniel Clyne. After consultation from VAR, referee Chris Kavanagh gave the Everton striker his marching orders; albeit in controversial manner. 

Embed from Getty Images

Palace almost made the Toffees’ night even worse as Eagles substitute Naouirou Ahamada took the ball down well and fired a teasing effort just wide of the far post.

Up the other end, James Garner could have won it for the visitors in the 84th minute, only for the former Manchester United man to somehow fire his close-range strike over the bar. 

The final chance of the game fell Eberechi Eze’s way, but the England international could only force a wonderful save out of Joao Virginia; meaning that these two sides would have to do it all again in the coming weeks.

Both sides return to Premier League action next time out, as Everton head back to Goodison Park to welcome Unai Emery’s Aston Villa for a 2pm kick-off on January 14th, while Crystal Palace head across London to take on Arsenal six days later at 12:30pm.