Peterborough United 0-3 Leeds United: Ampadu brace and Bamford volley see the Whites reach FA Cup fourth round

Leeds United travelled to the Weston Homes Stadium as they faced League One side, Peterborough United, in the third round of the Emirates FA Cup.

PET: Talley; Katongo, Knight, Edwards, Burrows; Collins, Kyprianou; Poku, Randall, Mason-Clark; Jones

LEE: Klaesson; Shackleton, Rodon, Ampadu, Firpo; Gruev, Gray; Gnonto, Piroe, Anthony; Bamford

Daniel Farke made six changes heading into the third round cup clash with Jamie Shackleton back from injury taking up position at right-back, Archie Gray moved into midfield and Ethan Ampadu joining Rodon in the heart of defence as he captained the side.

It was a strong start from Leeds as they capitalised upon a mistake at the back from Peterborough to win an early corner that Bamford failed to convert.

Peterborough continued to make mistakes at the back with the ball given away and retrieved by Anthony, crossing it into the box to Bamford who couldn’t get the shot off, followed shortly after by a short clearance from Fynn Talley that was met by Archie Gray on the edge of the box who was also unable to get the better of the Peterborough keeper in the end.

Seven minutes in, Willy Gnonto worked hard with the ball, putting in a good cross to Bamford from the right with the striker heading straight at a Talley who pushed it away to deny the Whites from opening the scoring.

A series of corners followed for the home side but Klaesson was able to save them comfortably.

A bright start from Leeds was being slightly tempered with as Peterborough began to grow into the game, looking more eager once they break the press and get in behind.

Closing in on the 20 minute mark, Ampadu raced to stop Jadel Katongo, conceding a corner and hurting himself in the process, but as the damage was cleared, Leeds tried to break down the left flank.

The hosts had their best chance of the game on the 24th minute as Mason-Clark cut in from the left, his shot well blocked, with a series of dangerous attacks following with a scramble off the goal-line at 32 minutes then seeing Shackleton charge down the other end, shooting at the keeper.

The deadlock was broken at 35 minutes as Anthony crosses into the box from a free-kick with the ball meeting an unmarked Bamford who knocked it down, landing at the feet of Ampadu who fired into the back of the net to give the Whites the lead.

Embed from Getty Images

There were calls from Peterborough for offside but the decision from the referee was that the goal stood.

Peterborough looked for an immediate response with a big chance to equalise as Hector Kypruanou drilled a left-footed shot just inches wide from inside the box on the 37th minute.

Leeds were then denied what looked to be a clear penalty as Josh Knights stuck his leg out with Wilfried Gnonto going down in the box – the decision, no penalty.

After two minutes of stoppage time, Ampadu’s goal was the difference at the break in the FA Cup clash at the Weston Homes Stadium.

Leeds United started the second half with a bang with an incredible goal courtesy of Patrick Bamford just two minutes in.

He controlled the ball on his chest, 25-yards out, before spinning and unleashing an unbelievable volley into the top corner before the ball had even dropped, doubling the Whites’ advantage.

Embed from Getty Images

The English striker then won a free kick just outside the box in a shooting position, taken by Jaidon Anthony that took a deflection, clipping the wall before going out for a corner.

Talley was tested again on the 60th minute as Anthony hit a powerful volley that forced the Peterborough keeper to get down low to save.

A triple change was made by the hosts in the 68th minute with Katongo, Jones and Poku making way for Ajiboye, Mothersille and Fernandez, but the control of the game still remained in Leeds’ favour with Burrows’ free-kick curled well over the bar in the 69th minute.

Klaesson was called upon with twenty minutes to play as Peterborough substitute David Ajiboye escaped down the right, his cut-back deflected towards goal with the rebound just missing Joel Randall.

A series of chances came for Leeds as the game headed into the final ten minutes, none of which they could capitalise upon until the 90th minute when Dan James whipped in a corner that Ethan Ampadu rose the highest to meet, heading it into the far corner to make it 3-0.

The Whites will progress to the next round of the FA Cup after an Ampadu brace, Bamford volley and Klaesson clean sheet round off a dominant performance against League One opposition, Peterborough United.