Bristol City 0-1 Leeds United: Visitors go second as Gnonto nets winner at somber Ashton Gate

Ashton Gate was home to the Championship’s latest Friday night clash, as Bristol City welcomed promotion-chasing Leeds United to their humble abode. Liam Manning’s hosts were held to a 2-2 draw at Coventry City last time out, while Daniel Farke’s visitors couldn’t squeeze past Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup last Saturday; coming away with a 1-1 draw.

Both sets of fans would come together in a round of applause between the 15th and 17th minute, in memory of two young Bristolians who were tragically murdered in the city in recent weeks.

BCI: O’Leary; Tanner, Vyner, Dickie; McCrorie, Williams, James, Pring; Knight; Wells, Conway

LEE: Meslier; Gray, Rodon, Ampadu, Firpo; Gruev, Kamara; Gnonto, Rutter, Summerville; Bamford

It was a quiet start to affairs at Ashton Gate, with neither side really threatening to break the deadlock inside the first ten minutes. Nahki Wells, however, forced the first half-chance of the game as he was played through on goal, only for Ethan Ampadu to make a last-minute block to deny Wells a shot on target.

Down the other end, George Tanner could have so easily allowed Leeds to take the lead as the defender gave the ball away to Crysencio Summerville. However, the Dutch international’s chipped effort failed to test Max O’Leary and the Bristol City goalkeeper spared his teammate’s blushes. Patrick Bamford then forced a good save out of O’Leary just minutes after. 

Bamford was instrumental in what proved the best chance of the game thus far as he skipped down the right hand side and looked for Wilfried Gnonto. The ball then fell instead to Georginio Rutter following a deflection, and the Frenchman somehow couldn’t steer the ball past Max O’Leary, who made another good save from close range.

The start to the second half would be louder than the first half, as the deadlock was finally broken. Junior Firpo played a tame ball forward that was then deflected into the path of Wilfried Gnonto. The Italian then found some space just inside the box before firing the ball home past Max O’Leary to give the visitors a deserved lead. 

Embed from Getty Images

Glen Kamara came close to making it two just a few minutes after the opener, but the Finnish international was thwarted by George Tanner who made a last-minute tackle to deny him. Crysencio Summerville also went close but saw his tame effort collected comfortably by Max O’Leary in the Bristol City goal.

Up the other end, Bristol City finally created their first opening of the evening, as Tommy Conway sent the ball through to substitute Anis Mehmeti. Mehmeti then fired the ball towards goal, but Illan Meslier made a comfortable save to keep the clean sheet intact.

Both sides return to FA Cup action next week. Bristol City have an FA Cup replay against Nottingham Forest to tend to next Wednesday at 7:45pm, while Leeds United head down to Plymouth Argyle the day before at the same time.