Ipswich Town 3-2 Bristol City: Ipswich secure the three points with 89th minute winner

Ipswich went into this fixture hoping to make it six wins in a row and retain their spot in the automatic promotion places. The visitors, Bristol City, aimed to get back to winning ways following three consecutive losses in the league. The Robins were faced with a difficult task as Ipswich have been a force at Portman Road this season; however Bristol City’s recent victory over Southampton proves that they have the ability to get a result in moments of brilliance.  

IPS: Hladky; Tuanzebe, Woolfenden, Burgess, Davis; Morsy, Luongo; Hutchinson, Chaplin, Harness; Moore
BC: O’Leary; Pring, Dickie, Vyner, McCrorie; Gardner-Hickman, Williams; Cornick, Knight, Mehmeti; Wells

Kieran Mckenna made two changes to the side that won against Birmingham last time out, bringing in Hutchinson and Harness to replace Burns and Broadhead. Bristol City manager, Liam Manning, decided that Roberts, Sykes and King were to make way for Pring, Cornick and Mehmeti. 

In the opening 15 minutes, there were no notable chances for either side as both teams struggled to maintain possession. However in the 17th minute Bristol City worked the ball in and around the box before Wells carried the ball into a dangerous position but his shot was blocked. 

Embed from Getty Images

Around the 20 minute mark, there were positive signs from Ipswich as Morsy won the ball back in the centre, driving play forward before passing to Moore, whose shot was comfortably collected by O’Leary. 

Just after half an hour, it was the home side in pursuit of the opener again. McKenna’s team won a corner, which was whipped in to the near side and flicked on to Chaplin at the far post, who stretched but was unable to get his shot on target.

It was Bristol City who had the next chance, as Cornick carried the ball down the wing and crossed it into Wells. The forward headed towards goal, but his effort was saved by Hladky. Just before half time, captain Jason Knight got the ball in the box, turned and shot but it was deflected wide and Ipswich dealt with the pressure from the resulting corner. 

Going in at half time it was goalless, as both sides did well to silence key players.

The Robins went ahead in the 55th minute, a move that started with Dickie winning a challenge at the other end of the pitch. The ball was then passed to Mehmeti who was released down the left, and he drove forward past the defence and into the box before releasing his shot, which took a deflection past Hladky. 

Filled with confidence from the opening goal, the Robins looked to double their lead as Wells passed two defenders and came agonisinlgy close but hit the woodwork. 

Despite this positive pressure from the visitors, Ipswich went level in the 62nd minute with substitute Al-Hamadi making an instant impact and registering his first goal of the campaign. Burns pulled the ball back to Davis, who had plently of space in the box and fired towards the target where Al-Hamadi was waiting to confirm the goal.

It was another immediate impact from a substitute, but this time in a Bristol City shirt as Sykes expertly crossed the ball into Conway, whose header found the back of the net putting the visitors back in front. 

This joy did not last long as with ten minutes left to play, Ipswich won a free kick just outside the box. Davis whipped in the ball to meet Chaplin who was on the move and he headed it past the keeper. 

Just five minutes later, the home side had the opportunity to go ahead after winning a penalty, but O’Leary chose the right side and saved Al Hamadi’s effort.

Embed from Getty Images

One minute before the end of normal time, McKenna’s men found their spark as Davis’ shot was seemingly on target, but the last touch of the ball went to Bristol City defender Dickie. 

A highly contested game, which at times could have gone either way resulted in Ipswich securing the three points.