QPR 2-2 West Brom: Sam Field scores brace to rescue a point for hosts 

Fifth-placed West Brom travelled to the MATRADE Loftus Road Stadium on Wednesday to face QPR in a must-win game that would have severe ramifications at both ends of the EFL Championship table.

The hosts came into this game carrying the confidence of their positive result last time out as they were able to secure the three points against current league leaders Leicester City with a shock 2-1 win away from home.

Wednesday’s opposition, West Brom, would aim to claim the result though, as the Baggies looked to keep their place in those all-important playoff positions. 

QPR: Begovic; Dunne, Cook, Clarke-Slater, Paal; Hayden, Field; Smyth, Andersen, Chair; Frey

WBA: Palmer; Reach, Pieters, Kipre, Furlong; Mowatt, Yokuslu; Johnston, Diangana, Fellows; Wallace

It was the home side who took the lead inside the first 20 minutes, as West Brom lost the ball, which resulted in danger from QPR. After chaos in the box, the ball eventually fell to the feet of Field, who was there to tap it in and make it 1-0 to the hosts.

Embed from Getty Images

On the 25 minute mark, after enjoying a spell of possession, Johnston equalised for the visitors with a spectacular strike. He received the ball down the left wing and carried it towards goal, cutting inside and beating two defenders before striking an unstoppable shot into the top corner, which was his fourth goal from his fourth shot on target this season. 

Moments later, Fellows had the ball down the right wing and crossed it into Diangana, who after a great first touch produced a fantastic finish into the back of the net, putting West Brom ahead.

Two goals in two minutes for Corberan’s side meant the visitors were ahead going into the break. 

Five minutes into the second half, QPR were awarded a penalty after a West Brom handball but a brilliant save by Palmer denied them the equaliser. Minutes after, the home side piled on the pressure again but Field’s effort was expertly cleared off the line by Kipre. 

QPR had been knocking on the door throughout the second half but had been unable to level the score until the 81st minute, when a corner set piece was passed to the far side before it was whipped into the box with players queueing up – but the resulting shot came off the woodwork. However, it ultimately fell to Field, who was waiting to put his shot away and get his second and QPR’s second of the evening, levelling the score. 

Embed from Getty Images

In the 84th minute, QPR came close again as Cook’s overhead kick was crucially cleared off the line by Furlong. 

At the full time whistle, a game that could have gone either way ended with the two sides sharing the points, after Field scored a brace against his former club to rescue a point for the hosts.