Brentford 0-0 Brighton: Relegation-threatened Bees held by Seagulls in dull draw

An uninspiring performance from Brentford was good enough for a point that could prove pivotal come the Premier League season’s end, as they held Europe-chasing Brighton & Hove Albion to a 0-0 draw at the Gtech Community Stadium.

It was a game that severely lacked in quality: chances came and went for either side in West London, but none came to avail and the final scoreline looked a fair result, no doubt proving frustrating for both Thomas Frank and Roberto de Zerbi.

As it happened

Having finished not too far from each other in the Premier League last term, it wasn’t a surprise that both sides looked very energetic in front of a rather vibrant atmosphere at the Gtech Community Stadium. However, it was the hosts who created the first chance of the game, as Keane Lewis-Potter’s cross in from the left found Yoane Wissa at the near post, but the DR Congo international’s finish bobbled just wide. 

That chance was a surprise, considering that Brighton had retained far more possession of the ball thus far. However, their first opening of the game saw Pascal Groß take aim from the edge of the box; only for the German’s strike to swivel well over the bar. Another half-chance shortly followed, as Simon Adingra’s cross found Joao Pedro a few yards from goal, but the Brazilian’s header failed to really trouble Mark Flekken.

Embed from Getty Images

A first half lacking in goalmouth action wasn’t improved by Ivan Toney’s tame strike failing to really test Bart Verbruggen after some good build-up from Thomas Frank’s side, and Joao Pedro’s low effort forcing Brentford stopper into a very comfortable save up the other end.

A mistake by Matthias Jensen three minutes from the first half’s end saw Carlos Baleba advance and find Adam Lallana just outside the Brentford box. The former Liverpool midfielder then looked up and fired the ball just wide at the near post. 

Just before the first half’s end, however, A VAR check took place as it was adjudged that Yoane Wissa had pulled Lewis Dunk to the ground during a Brighton corner. However, referee Andrew Madley decided against giving it as Dunk had pulled on Wissa’s shirt first. 

The way the second half started, however, it was almost as if a dull first half even existed. Yoane Wissa went down in the box under the challenge of Jan Paul van Hecke, but Andrew Madley waved the appeals away without hesitation. 

Roberto de Zerbi’s side then almost made it worse for the Bees as a wonderful ball forward from Carlos Baleba found Joel Veltman down the left hand side, but the full-back’s half-volley soared well over the bar. Adam Lallana and Simon Adingra also fired over the bar a while later.

Ivan Toney had another excellent chance to put the hosts into the lead halfway through the second half, but the England international’s free kick sailed well over the bar; a fair reflection of how the game had played out to this point.

Embed from Getty Images

Up the other end, Igor received the ball and decided to try his luck from just outside the box, only for the Brazilian’s strike to whistle well wide of the far post. Seagulls substitute Julio Enciso also fired over the bar a few moments later.

Ultimately, the game drew to a close in timid style, as both sides were left to ponder what might have been had better chances been created throughout. 

The lineups

BRE: Flekken; Zanka, Ajer, Collins; Roerslev, Jensen, Janelt, Yarmolyuk, Lewis-Potter; Wissa, Toney

BHA: Verbruggen; Veltman, van Hecke, Dunk, Igor; Groß, Baleba; Buonanotte, Lallana, Adingra; Pedro